Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Rollin Rollin Rollin

Day 7

Ok, so I know I am a few days behind on the "blog a day" :)

I am writing about something near and dear to my heart,
CAR MAINTENANCE!!

or more importantly

CAR MAINTENANCE FOR LADIES

When is the last time you checked the tread wear on your tires? 

Do you know how to check it?

Place a penny upside down with Lincoln's head facing down into the tread of the tire.  If some of his head is covered, you have enough tread, if not,

BUY NEW TIRES

Also, start your car, turn your wheel all the way to the left and get out and look at the "insides" (the part of the tire that faces the underside of your car) of your front drivers side tire.  If you can see any metal showing, you need new tires.

Get back in and turn your wheel all the way to the right and check your passenger side front tire for any metal showing. 

IF YOU HAVE ANY METAL SHOWING YOU ARE IN DANGER OF HAVING A BLOWOUT. 

Make sure to check your tires air pressure from time to time as well.  Now that cooler weather is coming in, tires tend to lose a little air.  If they run with less air in them than what is required, they will wear faster. 
The best time to check your tire pressure is at your house before you leave to go somewhere. 
The correct tire pressure for your car is written on the inside of your car door on the drivers side.

You can buy a nifty air pressure gauge like this
Takes all the guess work out on exactly how much is in there!!

If you can't find the recommended number, 32 psi is always a great number to make sure your tires are inflated at. 

I want you to do these things because I care and I don't want you stranded on the side of the highway with a flat or a blowout, dependent on a strangers help.  While there are nice people out there, there are also not so nice people.

It is so much better to be safe than sorry!!  

If you can't afford NEW TIRES call around to your local tire shops and see if they sell USED tires.  Give them your tire size, which is written on the outside of your current tires. 

They are often times half or a quarter of the price of new tires and are still in great shape.  Back when we were first married and had way less money than what we do now, we did this a lot.  It's a great way to stay within your budget and stay safe on the road. 

Don't be scared to take ownership of some of the "mechanical" side of car maintenance. 

I hope these small tips help one of you my sweet readers!! 

Have a beautiful Tuesday...
and don't forget

CHECK YOUR TIRES
BECAUSE

2 comments:

  1. I knew how to do this already. Definitely a good post for those that do not. How much does that tire gauge you have on here cost? The ones I always get are a piece of crap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!! I know, there are so many who have never had anyone teach them how to do basic car maintenance....and I hate to see women stranded on the side of the road, and I especially don't want to see anyone I know stranded!! :) I think the one I have was about $13 and it's from the auto parts store....it's lasted FOREVER!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...