Monday, June 27, 2011

Fires, A Gallon of Milk....and basically "A Day in My Life"

My daughter reminded me of this story the other day as we were driving past the place where it occurred.  I started laughing when she mentioned it, and I thought I had better share the story on here as well :)

It is a pretty rare occassion that I ever get to go to the grocery store by myself.  Last year I enjoyed a totally uneventful trip to a grocery store I don't usually go to, and took a completely out of the way route home as well.  Because I took the "road less traveled", which is indeed a very rural route road winding through the hills and trees of backwoods East Texas, I was out in the middle of nowhere where there are only one or two houses every mile or so.  

I was driving along and saw smoke billowing across the road in front of me.  As I drove up closer, I could see that the grass was on fire on the side of the road.  This is an alarming sight when it's next to acres and acres of timber that if a fire were to spread to would cause just sooo much damage.

I don't remember now if my cell phone was dead or I just didn't have service out there....both are completely possible!!  I had no way to call the fire department, so I had to resort to using what I had.

A GALLON OF MILK

I parked my Jeep a little bit away, walked down the road carrying my gallon of milk, and walked along and poured it along the edges of the fire hoping to wet it down enough to keep it from spreading any further!!  

I felt like a complete idiot, but really really hoped it was doing some good!!

Once I ran out of milk I drove a couple of more miles until I could find a home where someone was actually AT HOME and had them call the Volunteer Fire Department!!

They must have managed to get the fire out since I never heard of any wildfires out in that direction!!

It just goes to show, you never know what  a gallon of milk can accomplish!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...